About us

The Barefoot family live an easy, relaxed life together playing, pottering and doing whatever feels right at the time!


Sunday 18 November 2012

Finding the rhythm of our week.

One of the ways that we try to manage our family life/business balance is by making sure we spend at least one day a week doing certain tasks. It's taken us nearly a year to find our rhythm but finally one seems to have found us and each week we usually just about keep to it.
We often roll like this:
Monday is our pj day. We chill out the three of us whilst the hippy faces the start of another week at work. Newt has now started swimming lessons on this day which has meant we cant mooch all day as we have in the past! Tuesday hubby works from home & we clean pools. Wednesday Newt goes to her grandmas and Has teddy bear picnics & trips to the park on her bike, I have some time together with the Mancub, do house stuff and if there's time a bit of office work. Thursdays is my day off from the business. The office is closed and I either run The Natural Parenting or Natural Learning Club in the morning with fellow attachment parenting, home ed-ing families and often continue this with trips out together or play dates around a friends. Then on a Friday I work on the business, usually doing office based work, whilst the children have Haylie, our nanny/play mate come around and do fun stuff with them for the day. Fridays are my night off. We always make sure we watch a movie together, have something yummy for tea without the kids like Mexican and chill out. No work talk allowed! This leaves the weekends. These are much looser and fit more around the weather and whatever is happening in our worlds that week. We usually divvy it up with one doing practical sometimes boring stuff and one day out. Actually out. This usually falls on a Sunday, and can vary from trips to woods, the coast or just a day in the garden or local park.
I'd love to get to the stage where this all went that extra step further and we had a meal planner that fits in with this but I've pretty much accepted that its just too much for me yet. I might get there one day. I can see how cool this would be, how much easier day to day, how much food we'd save and naturally the pennies along with this. But I'll keep working on it, and try to stop my mind resisting this slight rigidity. Maybe three out of seven days will be enough for now.
I guess the most important thing to remember though is just as things seem to slump into their place something will always happen to give it all a big jump up in the air and all change. For now I will just try to enjoy the peace and not start getting itchy feet at the apparent sameness of the weeks. I'm happy knowing that in life, nothing lasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment